As the year is starting to close, we’re finding ourselves being bombarded with Christmas advertisements and nostalgia-inducing holiday movies. I feel as if most Americans this year have forgotten about Thanksgiving and are skipping straight ahead to Christmas.
I hate it. I absolutely LOVE Thanksgiving! It’s always been my favorite holiday. I love the message of appreciation and thankfulness. I enjoy spending time with my family. And before I found myself to be a stay-at-home-mom I loved the four day weekend.
This year we’re blessed to be spending Thanksgiving not only with my parents, but also with Carlos’ mom and stepdad. They came to visit from Miami and it’s been great having them around. PJ has really taken to them–minus the angry peeing but that’s a story for another day–and I’ve been grateful for all the extra love.
It’s inevitable to make to the last week of November and not find yourself thinking of what you truly appreciate and value in your life. And this year is no different. So here comes my list of things I’m thankful for this year.
Things I’m Thankful for in 2015
- My family. As cliche as it sounds, my family has been and always will be my rock.
- My health. After the MS scare last month I’m definitely thankful for my health and am making it a point to really care for myself.
- My salvation. If it weren’t for my relationship with Jesus I wouldn’t be the person I am today. I wouldn’t be as aware of who I am or the consequences of my actions.
- Living in Uruguay. I love that Uruguay isn’t as materialistic or as work-centered as other countries are. It’s a country that focuses more on family and over all just being ‘chill.’
- Rekindled friendships. No explanation needed.
I hope that everyone had a Thanksgiving full of love, laughter, and family. Take the time to reflect the things that really matter and know that just because we collectively celebrate our thanks today, we should take the time out of each day to appreciate even the tiniest blessings every day.